Monday 9 June 2014

How to get motivated

I, more than anyone, know how it feels to be completely unmotivated and lethargic - especially around exam season. We all have those days where we just want to stay in bed all day and then we regret it and feel guilty afterwards - been there, done that, got the t-shirt, and worn it pretty much all year. However, if you have work to do or even jobs that need doing around the house, it is often hard to get that bit of motivation to get started. Fear not, I've got a few tips that may just help...

Create a list

Write down a list of all the things you want to do and the date that you want/need to have done them by. Whether it be that wardrobe you said you would revamp last summer or that homework piece you keep putting off, scribble it all down. This will help you see what exactly you need to do and just how long you have to do it.

Prioritise

Once you've made your list, prioritise your tasks. You could use one colour to underline things that need to be done asap, and other colours for things that can wait a little longer (although that doesn't mean you don't do them at all!) 

Be realistic

By this I mean don't  tell yourself that you're going to complete all your tasks in one day - this will only make you stressed and more unmotivated. Instead, set yourself realistic goals that you can achieve- you'll feel much happier being able to tick off one thing that you put all your effort into than ticking off several things you rushed and did half heartedly.

Get in the zone

When I have things to do I often make a music playlist on spotify to listen to whilst I'm doing it - it makes the task that bit more endurable. For example, when I need to tidy my room, I'll listen to some music as I go along - pick up beat tunes, it'll put you in a happier and more motivated mood. If you need to do homework or something that requires your full concentration then music is definitely not one for you. Instead, you could give yourself a reward. For example, you could tell yourself that once you've completed that piece of homework you will sit down with a cup of tea and watch your favourite film. Not only does this make you more motivated to complete your work, but it also gives you some relaxation time in between tasks where you can just forget about work for a while and enjoy some 'me-time.'

Tick off your tasks

As you go along, tick off the tasks you've completed. I don't know about you, but I find there's nothing more satisfying than scribbling the hell out of things I've completed. My exam timetable is a prime example!

I hope this helped some of you. I often find that when I have a lot to do I just see it as one big task whereas confronting each task individually makes the process a lot more bearable. 

Let me know if you'd like to see more posts like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate any feedback I get on my blog so thank you so much in advance for taking the time to comment. If you have any questions regarding something in this post then please feel free to leave a comment and I'll get back to you as soon as I can x